Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spiced Couscous

This couscous is more fragrant than it is spicy tasting, though I happen to like the taste of plain couscous, so I like it. The only thing that scares me about couscous is how much it grows when you add water. It more than doubles!! Anyway, I got the spice balance -- and basic idea -- for this recipe from the blog Living Lou, though I substituted my own way of preparing couscous.




Ingredients:
1/4 cup dry couscous
1/4 cup plus one healthy splash of water
1/2 plus 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
pepper to taste

you'll also need:
 a small pot
a small or medium bowl
saran wrap
small bowl

1. measure your couscous and put it in the larger bowl. Put your water in the pot and bring it to a boil. Pour the water over the couscous in the bowl, and cover it with saran wrap. Let it stand for 5 minutes.

2. in the small bowl, combine all the spices, mixing them together with a fork.
3. when the couscous is done, uncover it and fluff it with a fork. Add the oil, fluff again, then add the spices and gently mix them in. Voila: spiced couscous!


I got this recipe from the blog Living Lou. She's like a cooking prodigy -- go check her out!


No comments:

Post a Comment