Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Oatmeal

I got the idea for cookie-ing up a morning bowl of oatmeal from the blog The Chic Life, which all around reminds me that everyone else is doing more with their lives than I am. But I digress. While I liked her idea, I didn't really love the part about putting butter in oatmeal. Or the sugar, either: I've learned that I don't like my oatmeal sweet. This recipe is my version, and I really loved the little pockets of chocolate, as well as the creamy texture. Yum!



Ingredients:
20g one-minute oats (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup skim milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips

you'll also need:
microwave-safe bowl
spoon
a microwave

1. measure your oats into the bowl you'll be cooking them in. Add the milk and the vanilla. Stir together.
2. put the bowl in the microwave and set it at a power level just above medium-high, and set the timer for 2 minutes. For me, that's power level 8). Cook the oats for 1 minute, then stop the microwave and stir them.


3. cook the oats again until they start to rise up, then stop and stir them. Cook again, continuing the process until your oatmeal reaches the texture you want.
4. right before you put it in for the last time, sprinkle in the chocolate chips and stir. Stir again once your oatmeal comes out for the last time: you want them good and melty, so they form little swirls / pockets of melted chocolate, but not so melted that they blend into the oatmeal entirely.
5. enjoy your decadent yet mostly-healthy breakfast!


I adapted this recipe from the one I found on the blog The Chic Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment