I have to say, when I first saw the idea for these eggs on the blog For the Love of Cooking, I was a little sceptical. I mean, eggs and onions? Scrambled? Yeah, right. The point is that they were excellent: creamy, simple, delicious. Onions really do make a nice breakfast companion. This is my version of the recipe I found on her blog. By the way, that blog is amazing: you should check it out!
about 1/2 a sweet yellow onion
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon butter
salt and pepper, to taste
you'll also need:
small non-stick frying pan
measuring cup and fork
1. chop the onion into relatively small pieces.
2. heat the butter in the frying pan over medium heat until it melts. There should be enough butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
3. reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onion to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, and beginning to brown. But you don't want it to burn, so be careful.
4. meanwhile, break the eggs in the measuring cup and beat them with a fork. Add the milk, salt and pepper, and beat them again.
5. when the onions are done, remove them from the heat for a 30 seconds to a minute, then add them to the egg mixture and stir gently with the fork. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and spray it with cooking spray.
6. pour the eggs-an-onion mixture into the frying pan. Cook over medium-low heat, constantly scraping the eggs from the bottom of the pan. Cooking them over this lower heat allows the eggs to stay creamier.
7. when the eggs are done, plate them and eat while warm. They really make a great start to the day!
I adapted this recipe from one I found on the blog For the Love of Cooking. This just might be my favorite cooking blog!