1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used golden brown sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter, melted (I used semi-salted)
butter for greasing the tins
you'll also need:
1. preheat the oven to 400F and grease the muffin tins. In the small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk, and stir together just to moisten. Let them stand. (I let mine stand a bit longer than I'd thought as there turned out to be brown sugar problems.)
2. in the large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until they're combined.
3. beat the egg and melted butter together a little, then add them to the bowl with the oats. Stir together to mix well.
4. make a well in the bowl with the flour mixture, then pour in the oats mixture. Stir them together, being careful not to overstir once they're been combined.
5. spoon the batter into the muffin tins until they're 3/4 full. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. when they're done, cool them in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove them to cool completely on the rack.
I got this recipe from the book Company's Coming Greatest Hits: Biscuits, Muffins & Loaves.