Monday, October 17, 2011

Chili-Orange Slow Cooker Chicken

This chicken was so good! And it goes without saying that cooking it in the slow cooker made the house smell amazing. I completely recommend trying this, especially as the weather starts to get colder. It was my first time using a slow cooker (I got this one on sale at Wallmart) and I count it a good experience.





Ingredients:
1 bone-in skinless chicken breast
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon no-sugar-added orange marmalade

you'll also need:
small bowl
measuring cup or bowl
tongs
heatproof spoon
2 quart (1.9 litre) or smaller slow cooker

1. in the small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of chili powder and the cumin, mixing them together well. Rub the spice mix all over the chicken breast, discarding any leftover spice.
2. meanwhile, in another bowl or a measuring cup, combine the ketchup, teaspoon of chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring until well mixed. (Or you could just use your favorite barbecue sauce).


3. pour the sauce into the slow cooker, then add the chicken, turning it over so that it's coated in the sauce. I did this the night before, then left the inner slow cooker container in the fridge until the next day.
4. cook the chicken in the slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours on high heat, or 5 to 7 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through. I cooked it for 5 hours on low. You don't want to cook to long if you're making a small recipe in a relatively large slow cooker.
5. when the chicken is done, turn off the slow cooker and lift it out with tongs. Stir the marmalade into the sauce until it's dissolved, then spoon the sauce over the chicken. I served mine with brown rice: it was lovely.



I adapted this recipe from one I found int the magazine Woman's Day, and I got the barbecue sauce recipe (adapted slightly) from the book The Seventeen Day Diet.


No comments:

Post a Comment