Friday, September 16, 2011

Sweet Roasted Chickpeas

I'm always looking for new things to do with chickpeas, and roasting them in the oven is, frankly, a brilliant idea! They are crispy and yummy and feel like a decadent snack. And snacking is something I'm good at! I got this idea, and the recipe I adapted, from the blog Cupcake Project. It's a great blog and you should check it out!





Ingredients:
1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained but not rinsed
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar
dash cinnamon
2 pinches salt

you'll also need:
baking sheet
1 square of parchment paper
small bowl

1. preheat oven to 425 F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper, and lay out the chickpeas in a single layer.
2. bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, until they are as crispy as you like them. I've done it twice now and I highly recommend going for a longer length of time. You could also bake them at 450 F, which I did the first time, but keep a close watch because they can burn pretty quickly.

3. meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, salt and olive oil.
4. when the chickpeas are done, remove them from the oven and scoop them into the bowl. Mix them, gently, until they're coated with the dressing / topping. Eat them warm: they're great with lunch or just for a snack.


I adapted this recipe from the blog Cupcake Project. Unlike my blog, this one has a real connection with cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment