I have made this bread once before, when I'd planned to bring it to a group breakfast. Unfortunately, that time it was undercooked and fell apart when I took it out of the pan. I stuffed it back in the oven and baked it some more, but its delicious pieced were not pretty enough to serve other people.
This time, I cooked it too long and the top and sides burned. Therefore, I cut them off. The bread was still great, but I was still pretty sad about it. I mean, this bread has defeated me twice! In the future, I will make it again, and I shall be victorious over it.
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup strawberry jam, stirred
1/4 cup sour cream
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
you'll also need:
1 medium to large-ish mixing bowl
2 smaller mixing bowls
8 x 4 x 3 inch loaf pan, greased
1. preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. cream together the butter and sugar in the largest mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Mix in the vanilla and lemon juice.
3. in a separate bowl, stir together the jam and sour cream.
4. in yet another bowl, mix together the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda.
5. to the original egg mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture. After that's just incorporated, add 1/2 the jam mixture, incorporating that. Continue by adding another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the jam, and the rest of the flour mixture, incorporating each addition before adding the next.
6. turn it into the greased loaf pan. Even it out, and tap the pan gently on its bottom to get rid of any excess air. Bake your bread for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. place pan on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan, leaving it on the rack until completely cool. Then you can slice it. Hypothetically, you can slice it into 16 slices. Have fun eating your bread!
I got this recipe from Company's Coming Greatest Hits: Biscuits, Muffins & Loaves.