Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup

I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed with this soup. I found it, well, bland. Too bland. Bland is not really my favorite flavor when it comes to soups. Anyway, this was probably due to the fact that I couldn't find all the ingredients necessary for this soup, and maybe a bit due to the fact I substituted skim milk for half-and-half. Anyway, the recipe I'm listing is the one from the book after I mutilated it into blandness. This soup is for two servings.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped leek
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
a couple of dashes of garlic powder
1/3 cup skim milk
salt and pepper, to taste

you'll also need:
a medium sized pot
blender or immersion blender
stirring spoon


1. heat the oil in the pot over medium heat. Add the chopped leek, stirring until coated. Cover the pot and cook until the leek is soft, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat if the leek begins to brown.
2. stir in the flour and cook about 30 seconds. Then, add the crushed tomatoes and 1 canful of water.
3. bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat. Partially cover the pot with its lid and simmer the soup for about 5 minutes so the flavors blend together.



4. remove the soup from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. When cool-ish, blend the soup until it's smooth.
5. return the soup to low heat to warm through. Add the milk and stir it in well. Add as much salt and pepper as you want. Then serve the soup: you'll get two bowls full.

I got this recipe from Serves One.

No comments:

Post a Comment