Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Indian-Spiced Fried Rice

I've never actually fried rice before, so I was a bit surprised to see the little grains jumping around in the pan. It was pretty cool! Anyway, I really liked this, and it was a nice change from boring, regular rice. As a heads-up, I used much more tomato than in the picture: it was pretty much covered! I just thought it looked prettier like this.





Ingredients:
1 cup cooked basmati or other long-grain rice, hot or cold (I used about 1/3 cup brown rice)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped onion, or 1 shallot
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 diced tomato, to top

you'll also need:
small non-stick frying pan
wooden or plastic spoon












1. heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the shallot until it starts to lightly brown, stirring often. I let mine get a little too brown, but sometimes these things can't be helped. But seriously, try not to do that.


2. stir in the rice, spreading it out over the bottom of the pan. when it starts to brown, stir it and spread it again. Keep doing this until the rice is fried the way you like it. If it's cooking too quickly, or escaping the pan, turn down the heat a bit, or add a little water.
3. serve in a bowl topped with tomatoes. You could also top it with cucumber. All I know is, that rice is good!


I got this recipe from Serves One. I can't stress enough how great this cookbook has been!



No comments:

Post a Comment