Saturday, August 20, 2011

Garlicky Swiss Chard

To be honest, I found the chard to be a bit bitter. I bet this would be awesome with spinach, though!









Ingredients:
1 small bunch Swiss chard
2 teaspoons butter
1-2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced (I used 2: I like repelling vampires with my breath)
salt and pepper, to taste
white wine vinegar

you'll also need:
a pot of water
strainer
heatproof spoon
salad spinner












1. first you need to prepare your chard. If you got this kind with the thin stems (1/2 inch thick), cut the stems out and chop them into fine pieces. If you got the kind with horribly thick stems, cut them out and toss them aside.
2. wash the chard by immersing it is water until no more dirt comes off it. I like to do this directly in the salad spinner. Spin the chard dry and chop it into small ribbons (the stems are already cut).
3. bring the water to a boil and toss in the stems, reducing to a simmer. Let cook about 2 minutes before adding the leaves. The book says to cook for a minute more, but I cooked them for 3.


4. when it's tender, drain the chard. In the same pot, melt the butter and toss in the garlic. Cook the garlic until it's just golden, then remove from the heat.
5. stir in the chard and coat; keep stirring until the sizzling stops. Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle a little vinegar over the top. Stir to coat and serve warm in a bowl. You could get two servings out of this, but I ate it all at once.


I got this recipe from Serves One.

No comments:

Post a Comment