1 medium or 2 small red-skinned potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon butter
3 tablespoons skim milk (or half-and-half as the original recipe calls for)
1 scallion, chopped
freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
you'll also need:
small pot with cover
1. wash the potato and cut it into quarters.
2. put it in the small pot and cover it with water. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil.
3. once it boils, cover the pot and simmer (at about level 4 heat, just below medium) for 20 minutes or until the potato is tender.
4. once the potato is done, leave it in the pot and drain the water well. Put it back on the stove over low heat. Smash the potato until it's broken into small chunks. If you don't have a masher, use the back of a spoon.
5. add the butter and, when incorporated, stir in the milk one tablespoon at a time. (once the potato is broken down, stirring instead of mashing is a good bet).
6. once the texture is where you want it, add the scallion, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in, then serve. Enjoy your decadent and delicious potatoes!
I got this recipe from the cookbook Serves One.