Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Broccoli and Three-Cheese Mini Frittatas

These mini-frittatas are amazing! I found the recipe on the blog Kalyn's Kitchen. The only thing I did really differently was that I don't have giant 1-cup muffin tins, so I used custard bowls instead. Anything that holds 1 cup and is both microwave and oven-safe will work. But subtract about 5 minutes from the cooking time if you're using glass!





I remember growing up the whole family used to have lunch together on Sundays. In the summer, it was my father's job to make the meal -- bacon and eggs on the barbecue, tomato sandwiches, that sort of thing. It was nice to spend that time together as a family.

We never really had anything like this, though. I don't know if broccoli at lunchtime would really have gone over in our household, although all the cheese might have helped.


Of course, we don't actually do that anymore. My father hasn't cooked anything in years and my brother doesn't get out of bed until a few hours after lunch. So it's just my mom and me. Except that, since my church ends so much later than her church now, we don't usually have lunch together anymore either.

Anyway, I skipped church this Sunday to avoid post-tropical storm Irene (which wasn't a problem until the afternoon, as it turned out), so I decided to make lunch for the two of us. Since it made four frittatas it would have been great for the whole family, but a girl can't have everything.


These were savory and cheesy and really just great! The leftovers reheated well, too. Someday, I'm going to try them with spinach, and then with mushrooms. Who knows what other crazy ideas for them I might come up with?? Maybe mozzarella and bacon?


You (and maybe your family) should definitely give these a try: it's easy enough to cut the recipe in half if you want to. And check out the blog Kalyn's Kitchen for other great ideas!!




No comments:

Post a Comment