Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Cheese

I got the idea to bake eggs this way from the many posts about it that I've read on the blog For The Love Of Cooking, which by the way is an amazing work of art that you should definitely check out. I decided to make these specifically because I had some leftover fire-roasted diced tomatoes from the mini casseroles I made. Unfortunately I didn't quite remember the directions I'd read on how to bake eggs, so this was my attempt. It turned out pretty well, but next time I think I'll cook it 5 minutes less. I'll also drain the tomatoes.


Ingredients:
about 1/2 cup canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons shredded Italiano cheese blend, divided
2 eggs
1 tablespoon skim milk
salt and pepper

you'll also need:
1-cup baking dish
cooking spray
cookie sheet lined with foil (for easy cleanup)

1. preheat the oven to 350F.
2. place the tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of the cheese at the bottom of the baking dish after spraying it with cooking spray.


3. crack the eggs into the dish, being careful not to break the yolks. Add the milk, salt and pepper to taste, and the remaining cheese.
4. bake the eggs for 20 minutes, then poke the top a few times with a knife (it will have inflated). Keep baking for another 5 minutes. Serve, and wait for it to deflate and cool a bit before eating. I served mine with buttered toast.





I made this recipe up.

No comments:

Post a Comment