Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Spicy Rice Noodles with Pork

Wow! When I made this, I thought I'd eat half today and save the other half for re-heating; you know, skip the whole 'making lunch' thing one day and just nuke these leftovers. Unfortunately, I started eating it and, due to circumstances completely beyond my control, it all disappeared. Into my stomach. Completely beyond my control.
Cutting the carrots into teeny strips was a bit more annoying (and took longer) than I'd thought, so I suppose you could just chop up your vegetables like usual. But this way it has the whole 'look how much work I put into your stir-fry, jerk, you better make it worth my while' vibe to it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup to 1 cup rice noodles or other Asian noodle (I used brown rice vermicelli)
boneless thin-cut pork chop, as much as you want (you could also use other meat)
1 tablespoon black bean and garlic sauce
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/2 medium carrot
1/2 celery rib (I omitted this)
1 scallion
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger root
crushed red pepper flakes to taste

you'll also need:
a pot
a small non-stick wok
pasta strainer


1. peel your carrot. Then, using a potato peeler, take off strips of carrot, and then cut those strips into smaller strips. This is called julienning them. Don't you feel fancy? Prepare your scallion and celery in the same way. Then finely chop up your ginger. Set aside.
2. in a small bow, mix together the black bean sauce, soy sauce and water. Set aside.
3. boil salted water and prepare your noodles according to package directions. When done, strain. Set aside.
4. cut your pork chop into thin, relatively short pieces.




5. heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wok. Briefly stir-fry the ginger, until it starts to small strongly, then add the pork. Stir fry until it's cooked through and re-absorbed most of its fat. When it's done, take it out of the wok and set aside.
6. add another teaspoon of oil and stir-fry the vegetables until tender.
7. put the pork back in, and add the sauce and noodles. Stir until everything is coated and heated through.
8. serve, and add crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Yum!

 

I got this recipe from the by-now ubiquitous Serves One.

No comments:

Post a Comment