Monday, June 27, 2011

Japanese-style Marinated Veggies

I was a bit worried when I decided to make this because, normally, I hate radishes and raw onion. But I decided to go ahead and give it a try anyway. You know what? It was pretty awesome! I think the sweetness really did something to make it wonderful. In the future, I'm going to play with this recipe a bit and see if I can't make a kind of relish out of it: that could be fun. Anyway, I liked it.


Ingredients:
1/4 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
3 thinly sliced radishes
 1 thin slice of onion
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar

you'll also need:
a small bowl


1. get your cucumber, onion and radish sliced. arrange them, in that order, in a serving dish. If you don't have radishes, you can use 3 thin slices of tomato.

2. in a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, sugar and salt until combined. If you only have seasoned rice vinegar, use 2 tablespoons of that instead and omit the salt and sugar.
3. spoon the mixture over the vegetables and let sit at least 10 minutes, or up to 12 hours. Then you can go ahead and eat it.



I got this recipe from Serves One. I can't stress enough how useful this book had been.



No comments:

Post a Comment