Monday, August 15, 2011

Individual Nectarine-Strawberry Crisp

I actually made this for breakfast, but it would also make a lovely dessert! Fruit, cereal, a bit of sugar and butter and voila: breakfast crisp for one. I got the idea from the blog The Chic Life, but I changed it up a bit -- my recipe seems a bit on the less-healthy side. What with the more butter and everything. Anyway, here it is.





Ingredients:
1 ripe nectarine
1 and 1/2 tablespoons no-sugar-added strawberry jam
20 g rolled oats (about 1/4 cup I guess)
a few dashes ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
a few almond slices for the top (optional)

you'll also need:
a ramekin or other individual-sized dish for the oven (I used a shallow onion soup bowl)
a baking sheet (optional: for easy cleanup)
a heat-proof mixing bowl
small bowl for mixing topping in
kettle of boiling water
vegetable oil cooking spray

1. preheat oven to 350 F. Spray your making dish with the cooking spray.
2. bring water to a boil, and place your nectarine in it's heat-proof bowl. Pour the boiling water over the nectarine until covered and let sit for 1 minute. Drain and fill with cold water until it remains cool.
3. skin the nectarine and cut it into slices. Put it in the baking dish and mix in the jam. Mix until well combined.




4. in a small bowl (or the bowl you already used, dried out; I just used another bowl), mix together the oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and melted butter until the mixture holds together. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling and press down very gently. If you want, garnish the top with a few almond slices.
5. put the crisp in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes; the filling will start to get a bit bubbly around the edges.
6. remove from the oven and eat, being careful not to scald yourself on the molten fruit. If you're having it for dessert, you could put a dollop of whipped cream on top, or pour over some lighter cream. I'm pretty sure that counts as a serving of dairy. Hope you like it!


I got the idea and the basics for this recipe from the blog The Chic Life. Next time, I want to try making a topping with honey instead of butter and sugar. Here's hoping I remember I want to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment