1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup brown basmati rice
1 cup chopped cauliflower florets
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted on the counter while prepping your other ingredients
1/2 cup dry lentils, prepared according to package directions and rinsed
you'll also need:
a few bowls
large non-stick wok with lid
1. chop the yellow onion and put in in a bowl. Peel the carrot, cut it in four lengthwise, and dice it; add it to this same bowl. Mince the garlic, and add that as well.
2. to the same bowl, add the garam masala, coriander, mint, and turmeric. Set the bowl aside.
3. chop up the cauliflower and put in in a separate bowl. Have all your other ingredients measure in bowls of their own.
4. over medium heat, heat the olive oil in the wok. Add the contents of the first bowl, stirring to evenly distribute the spices. Cook until the onion is starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
5. add the broth and rice to the wok, and increase the heat until simmering; cook uncovered for 4 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower, and bring back to a simmer. Cover the wok, reduce the heat, and simmer for 7 minutes.
6. remove the cover and stir in the peas and lentils. Bring back to a simmer, the cover and simmer for another 4 minutes. If any excess liquid remains, remove the cover and boil it off, stirring frequently. Your meal is ready!
I slightly adapted this recipe from the one I found in the magazine Clean Eating: Classic Comfort Foods.