Thursday, February 23, 2012

Herbed Tuna Scallop

As you might know, I have a love-hate relationship with tuna: I wish I loved it, but most of the time I hate it. So when I saw that the grocery store was having a sale on something called tuna scallop, I jumped at the chance to buy it because I thought the thinness of the tuna would leave me more room to flavor it into something that didn't actually taste too much like tuna. Well, it worked! I really liked this recipe, though a bit less herbs in the marinade would also be nice. This recipe serves one.

I should also point out that I've never seen a tuna scallop before in my life. It might or might not actually be designed for sushi.


Ingredients:
90g-ish of tuna scallop (a thin-sliced tuna cut)
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic
a bit of unsalted butter
fresh basil leaf (optional)

you'll also need:
non-stick frying pan
metal spatula
shallow dish
cling-wrap
paper towel

1. dice the clove of garlic and place it in the shallow dish.
2. add the dried basil and lemon juice to the dish, and mix together.
3. add the tuna to the dish, and make sure the marinade sort of covers it all or is rubbed onto all parts. Cover the dish with cling wrap and refrigerate it for 15 minutes.

4. after 15 minutes, remove the fish from the marinade and discard whatever's left in the bowl. Pat most of the marinade off the fish using paper towels. If using fresh basil, wash it and tear it into pieces: set aside.
5. in the frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Place the fish in, and fry it until it's looking white. Flip it over and cook until the second side is browned. Add the basil when you flip it the second time.
6. serve the tuna and garnish with the basil from the pan.



I made this recipe up.

No comments:

Post a Comment