1/2 cup brown basmati rice
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup baby spinach
1/2 cup beans (I used pinto)
1 cup water
generous amount of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
you'll also need:
bowl large enough to fit tomato
small wok with lid
1. peel the tomato by pouring boiling water over it in a bowl and letting it sit for one minute, then covering it with cold water a few times. Peel it with a sharp knife, the stem and chop it. Set aside.
2. heat the oil in the wok over medium heat and add the onions. Cook them for a few minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. add the rice and toast a bit, stirring constantly. Then add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
4. add the 1 cup of water and the beans, stirring to mix. Increase the heat to maximum and bring to a boil. Stir in the baby spinach, the cover and reduce the heat. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
5. remove the cover and check on your rice. If there's still water left -- as there was for me because I haven't mastered the ability to cook rice yet -- increase the heat and boil it off. When it's done, serve the rice in two portions. This reheats pretty well.
I made this recipe up.