1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup beans (I used pinto)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
1 398ml can of diced fire roasted tomatoes with juices
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
generous amount of salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1/2 tablespoon lime juice
shredded cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
you'll also need:
medium to large-ish pot with lid
1. brown the meat in the pot over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cooked through. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and garlic, and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix together well. Cook until the onion softens, stirring just enough so that everything cooks evenly.
2. in a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cayenne, cocoa, paprika, and mustard powder. When the onion has softened, sprinkle the seasonings over the top of the mixture, stirring well to mix. Let it cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. add the tomatoes, broth and frozen corn, stirring to mix well. Let the mixture simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring very occasionally.
4. add the honey and lime juice, and stir well. Add the beans and stir again. Reduce the heat to between medium-low and minimum, cover with the lid, and simmer for 40 minutes.
5. after 40 minutes, remove the lid and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. When done, serve garnished with cheddar cheese, but wait a few minutes before digging in because it's hot!
I made this recipe up based on the fact that I thought it would be delicious.