Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Broiled Salmon with Dr Pepper Glaze

The glaze on this salmon was pretty subtle, actually, which I'm going to go ahead and say is a good thing. I got the idea for the glaze from the blog An Edible Mosaic, which is a pretty darn cool blog. I did end up making some changes, mostly due to a lack of proper ingredients. You should check out the blog and see the original!






Part of the reason I decided to make this recipe was because I bought this really cool teeny-weeny saucepan at Wallmart on Saturday. It's so cute!! So small!! Adorable, really. Anyway, I thought since the amount of ingredients going into the glaze was relatively small, it would be a perfect opportunity to try out my cute new saucepan.

What I didn't know is that when soda finally reaches its boiling point it really goes overboard! Do you remember those volcano science experiments from elementary school? It's kind of like that: a soda volcanic explosion. Anyway, I had to clean the element and change its bib after that. So sticky!

It also took me a lot longer to make the glaze than I'd thought, and it didn't become as syrupy as I'd hoped, probably because I used diet soda instead of regular. But it was a nice subtle touch with salmon, and I'd do it again. In a larger pot.



Ingredients:
1 salmon fillet
1 cup diet Dr Pepper (if it's flat it will probably foam less)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey (I used wildflower)
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 clove of garlic, peeled and smashed
thin slice of fresh ginger
3 dashes cinnamon
large pinch ground cardamom
large pinch ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 small pinches crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

you'll also need:
a saucepan / pot
fine-mesh strainer
heat-proof spoon
small bowl
pastry brush
small wire rack on a cookie sheet lined with foil (or a broiler pan)
cooking spray
metal spatula


1. put all the ingredients except the salmon into the saucepan and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat, the reduce the heat and let simmer until reduced and syrupy. This will take 30 minutes to an hour.
2. remove from the heat and strain into a container. Let come to room temperature, then refrigerate.


3. preheat the broiler and spray the wire rack with cooking spray. Place the salmon on the rack.
4. place 2 tablespoons of the glaze in a small bowl, and brush it on top of the salmon.
5. cook the salmon for about 14 minutes or until it's opaque, brushing it another 2 times with the glaze. When it's done, remove it with the metal spatula and serve immediately.





I adapted the recipe for the glaze from the one on the blog An Edible Mosaic. 








No comments:

Post a Comment