1 chicken breast
2 teaspoons and 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tomato, diced
1 good handful of green beans, end trimmed and cut in half
1/4 cup white long-grain rice
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup water and 1/3 cup of water
you'll also need:
small non-stick frying pan with high sides, and lid
small pot with lid
1. heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low heat in the pot. Add the rice and cook it, stirring occasionally, until it starts to colour: this will take about 5 minutes.
2. add the 2/3 cup of water to the pot with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the rice. Cook until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. If the water hasn't been absorbed after 15 minutes, uncover the rice, increase the heat, and let the excess boil off, stirring frequently.
3. when the rice is done, stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and serve the rice on a plate.
4. meanwhile, pat the chicken dry and season it on both sides with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken in it, shaking off the excess.
5. heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in the frying pan. When hot, add the chicken and brown the first side for about 3 minutes, until it's golden in colour. Flip the chicken over with tongs.
6. add the tomato and garlic to the pan, along with 1/3 cup of water, and season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer then cover to pan and cook for 12 minutes.
7. add the green beans to the pan with the chicken and re-cover. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, until the beans are crisp-tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
8. remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on the plate with the rice. Spoon the vegetable mixture around it and serve.
I adapted this recipe slightly from one I found on the show Everyday Food.