Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fried Rice with Cauliflower

I really liked this: it was simple, easy to make, and tasty. The cauliflower retained some of it's crunch, and that was nice. As a rule I don't like firm cauliflower, but I'm now willing to make exceptions.
I'm not sure it needed as much oil as I used.





Ingredients:
4 cauliflower florets, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
about 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

you'll also need:
non-stick wok
heat-proof spoon


1. heat the wok over medium heat until it's hot. Add the oil and swirl it around so it coats the bottom and sides.
2. add the cauliflower to the wok and stir-fry until it begins to brown on all sides.


3. add the rice to the wok and mix with the cauliflower. Stir-fry, pressing down into the pan, until the rice is done to your liking. This will probably take between 3 and 5 minutes.
4. remove the pan from the heat and pour on the soy sauce. Stir to coat everything, then transfer your meal to a bowl. Simple yet delicious!





I adapted this recipe from the one in the cookbook Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking for One. I had to adapt it because I both didn't have all the ingredients and didn't have the 'right kind' of wok.

No comments:

Post a Comment