1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used a blend of oats, barely flakes, wheat flakes, rye flakes and Kamut flakes)
scant 1/3 cup chopped roasted salted pistachios
rounded 1/3 cup shopped walnuts
1/4 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
rounded 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons brown sugar)
3 healthy dashes of cinnamon
2 small pinches of nutmeg
2 small pinches of allspice
3 tablespoons liquid honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon artificial rum extract
generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup chopped dried figs
you'll also need:
medium mixing bowl
large microwave-safe mixing bowl
cookie sheet lined with foil
1. preheat the oven to 250F. In the medium mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, seeds, coconut, brown sugar and spices. Stir them well to combine everything.
2. in the large mixing bowl, combine the honey, oil, rum extract and salt. Microwave them for 10 seconds, then give them a good stir to combine.
3. add the dry mixture to the larger bowl and stir well, making sure that everything is coated and looks shiny.
4. spread the granola mixture in a slightly thick single layer on the cookie sheet and place it in the oven. Bake it for 1 hour and 15 minutes, taking it out of the oven and stirring it every fifteen minutes. After the first 30 minutes spread it a bit thinner on the baking sheet.
5. the last time you're going to stir the granola, add the chopped dried figs and stir them in. Increase the oven temperature by 25 degrees and let the granola finish cooking.
6. when the granola is done, take it out of the oven and use the spoon to pile it in the middle of the baking sheet. Place it on the wire rack to cook completely.
7. when the granola has cooled, break it up with the wooden spoon and store it in an airtight container.
I adapted this recipe from the one I usually make.