Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Broiled Grapefruit with Brown Butter and Sugar

I made this for breakfast on Saturday (I know, I know, I'm a little late with the posting) because I'd just seen the idea for it the day before. It's a nice way to have grapefruit, especially when it's cold out: nice, warm, and sweet. If I ever host a brunch I'll probably do this. I got the idea from the blog Playing House. You should check out that site for the original recipe and better photos.




Ingredients:
1/2 grapefruit
1 tablespoon semi-salted butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
dash of cinnamon

you'll also need:
foil-lined baking sheet
small non-stick frying pan
small bowl

1. after you've cut your grapefruit in half, make sure it can stand up on it's own. If it can't, cut a slice off the rounded bottom so that it can. Carefully slice around the edges and between the segments, removing all the seeds. Place it on the foil-lined baking sheet and pre-heat the broiler.
2. in the small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. place the butter in the frying pan over medium heat, swirling until it's melted. Continue cooking it, swirling but never stirring, until brown bits start to accumulate on the bottom of the pan, and the butter smells rich and nutty. Congratulations: you've made brown butter!
4. add the butter to the bowl with the sugar and cinnamon, and stir to mix.
5. spoon the mixture over the top of the grapefruit and spread it out so the fruit is evenly coated.
6. broil the grapefruit for 2 to 3 minutes, until the sugar starts bubbling. Some may run off; that's normal.
7. transfer the grapefruit to a bowl and let cool slightly (I used 2 soup spoons to pick it up). Eat and enjoy!



I adapted this recipe from the one I found on the blog Playing House. It was awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment